Removing Old Painted Tissue?

Tutorials on how to do stuff

Removing Old Painted Tissue?

Postby iflylilplanes » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:48 am

Anyone Know how to remove painted tissue off expansive balsa areas? besides a lot of sanding. I have been given a model built in 1963, perfect condition but for the covering, the closed fuselage I can cope with, the D box of a wing will be the hardest, I don't want the old paint to show through the new tissue over laminating film.

Thanks for any help,

Dave
Cheers,

Dave W.

A new challenge learning to fly rudder only, GG and push button.
iflylilplanes

Re: Removing Old Painted Tissue?

Postby Spike S » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:19 am

Removing old doped tissue is never easy (unless someone knows otherwise). Try sealing it in a plastic bag with some Acetone or Cellulose thinners. The doped tissue will soon be softened by the vapour and be easy(er) to peel off. An occasional shake may reinforce the vaporised solvent. Application of heat is not advised.

HOWEVER ... If the structure was assembled with Balsa Cement, you might also be producing a full kit of the model !! :(
Some plastic bags will be affected by these solvents so test that first or you could end up with a gooey mess on the deck.
Spike S

(Tune for maximum smoke)
Spike S

Postby iflylilplanes » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:12 am

I will give it a go, I have not tried sanding as yet, it may be that the paint being that old may sand off easily if it has dried out enough. It would be nice to have a few options.

Thanks,

Dave
Cheers,

Dave W.

iflylilplanes

Postby 2.4g shaun » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:02 am

Dave, just try lightly sanding the painted tissue to break the surface then wipe thinners on with a rag, leave a minute or two and gently scrape with a razor blade - old double edged type then sand. Alternatively it may be quicker just to remove the offending wood and re sheet it. Another option choose your new colour scheme to hide the old colour.
I have used these methods in the past.

Cheers,

Shaun
2.4g shaun

Postby iflylilplanes » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 am

In that case I will have to source some blue tissue a little darker than the bar at the top of this page, I want to keep it blue with raw tissue over the open areas.

I will take note of all suggestions and see what works best whether it's one or a combination of techniques.

Thanks Spike and Shaun.
Cheers,

Dave W.

iflylilplanes

Return to How do I do that?