Vintage Radio Control - tone filter circuitry

Reeds, single channel, and retro stuff here

Vintage Radio Control - tone filter circuitry

Postby dodgy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Some of you may have come across me while chasing old model boats kits from the 1950s/60s, which are an interest of mine - as are the corresponding radios. See, for instance, http://marinecraft.tk
or http://eezebilt.tk
For people who share this fascination, we have a treat in the RC Groups Forum vintage boats section - one reader with a failing Metz Mecatron single channel system in Hungary has been getting detailed technical support via the forum from an expert in the Netherlands, culminating in a full reverse-engineering exercise and disassembly/rebuild, with illustrations. And including all the technical data needed if anyone else has a non-working item, as well as comments on the design...

Anyone who is curious about how the old electronics designs worked as we began the move from valves to transistors should find much to interest themselves at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2609824
dodgy

Re: Vintage Radio Control - tone filter circuitry

Postby jackdaw » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:49 pm

Welcome aboard (sounds appropriate). Gosh what a posh school! Still got my 90% built Aerokits 32" Huntsman that I started building in 1961. Never finished it as my father died early 1962 and have just kept it out of nostalgia. Your sites brought back a few fond memories.
I think we should really start a marine section so that forum members know where to go and boating info/topics don't get lost in the mass of aeroplane threads.
I fly mode zero - sticks are for dogs!
jackdaw

Postby no1dieselman » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks for the introduction. I have always fancied building one of the small kk boats. Will have to hive it a go. I would really like to build a Mercury hydroplane. Do you know a source for the plan?
Cheers
Doug
He who dies with the most toys wins
no1dieselman
Site Admin

Postby 2.4g shaun » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:06 am

I think I may have one Doug. I'll have a look for you.
2.4g shaun

Postby dodgy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Thank you for the courteous welcome!

Model Boats seem to be a rather forgotten by-way in the R/C modelling hobby. In the days when you stood your transmitter on the ground the bulky receivers and batteries meant that boats sometimes took centre stage - they could easily carry the mechanisms necessary to operate several different functions off a train of single pulses, and the results of equipment failure were usually less severe..! But now that boating ponds have all but disappeared from all our parks, boats also seem to be forgotten.

To save a lot of the old kits from complete oblivion I have been setting up some web sites, and I would like to draw your attention particularly to http://oldboats.tk , which I have set up as a counterpart to Outer Zone, but for vintage model boat plans. It's far less well supported, but at least it offers a place where someone with an old plan can put it up for free download to any other interested parties. If there's a Mercury Hydroplane plan available (or anything else!), I would love to get a copy for the site...
dodgy

Postby ronstv » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Hi dodgy

Myself and my son Oliver built the aeronaut Diva last year and love it.
I'll find a pic out later and post it.
It was a change to building wings!

Ron.
ronstv

Postby dodgy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:51 pm

ronstv wrote:Hi dodgy

Myself and my son Oliver built the aeronaut Diva last year and love it.
I'll find a pic out later and post it.
It was a change to building wings!

Ron.

Small boats are a good way to introduce young kids to modelling the old-fashioned way...

The parts are less delicate or critical, there's no doping, the end result is pretty much guaranteed to work, and to come home in one piece, and it's easy to put it on a stand on a bedroom shelf where it looks good. That's why I have put all those plans up for download on my web sites...
dodgy

Postby jackdaw » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Just had a look at your site, the boating version of Outerzone, and see that I suffered a brain fart in my other post. Its the 34" Swordsman that I have. Got quite a few of the free plans from old 'Model Boats' mags etc. I may have some already scanned. Need to check and I'll let you know.
jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Quick check shows I only have 5 Vic Smeed designs scanned: Air Sea Rescue Launch, Sea Rider, Tom Tom, Vickers Vedette and Xqqme. Any good to you and your site?
jackdaw

Postby dodgy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:08 pm

Ah... now, unlike Outer Zone, I try to comply with copyright directives.

The way this works is that, if the plans are currently available to people commercially, I won't distribute them. For instance, Veron plans are available through Colin Smith/Belair, and the Aerokits are available from Vintage Model Boats. All Billing old archives are available from the company. So long as the plans are commercially available, they are not in danger of getting 'lost'.

If the plans are not available, I search to find out where the copyright resides. This can take ages - searching for old companies and working out who inherited the company assets. When I get a name, I then apply to them asking for permission to publish. Surprisingly, I usually get it. Amerang, for instance, still hold the rights to Keil Kraft, and I have formal permission to distribute their plans for free. The only company I have found who do not provide archives of their plans to the public, but who also refuse to let them be distributed, are MidWest....

Marinecraft is an interesting example - W.H.Smiths ended up holding the rights to Model Zone, which was what Model Aerodrome became, but they are totally uninterested in model plans, and these are now 'orphaned'. So I can publish them, but need to be ready to withdraw them should an owner arrive (See http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/copyright/orphan_works/index_en.htm )

The Vic Smeed plans are interesting. Many were done for Model Boats, and are now sold by TheHobbyStore. Quite a few were done for other publications, and may well now be orphans. I would be happy to do the chasing If you want to send any plans over. Alternatively, old model aircraft plans can be put up on the RC Groups Vintage site http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265873 (This was the thread which kicked off Outer Zone) and boat plans can be 'saved' here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1915456
dodgy

Next

Return to Radio systems