Pontefract June 2016

Reeds, single channel, and retro stuff here

Re: Pontefract June 2016

Postby GeeW » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:14 pm

Shaun
I hope gliders will be supported in your trail blazing retro scene articles?

Regards

Gordon
GeeW

Postby Colonel Blink » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:02 pm

Hey Shaun - what is your criteria for a model to be categorised as a 'past gem'?? It can't be based upon popularity, because although the Ohm8 had originally been a free plan in RM, had also been free plan in the 2013 Plans Handbook, when I built mine in 2014 I said on RCGroups that I had not seen or heard of another. Turned out that a clubmate of Gary's had one in Perf (dahn under), but other than that and the original there were no reports of any sightings until Glyn burst on the scene with his immaculately reproduced example. So conceivably we could have been flying half the world's Ohm8s together that Sunday at Ponty!

I always felt it was a bit of a 'forgotten' Smeed design - probably because it wasn't one his most aesthetically appealing models..... actually, it's nearly as ugly as some of the women I've been out with. But I certainly find mine is great to fly (I'd advise leaving the massive downthrust shown on the plan in place though!) so if a past gem includes models that deserve a second look, the Ohm8 is there!

Flew mine again on Weds evening - 20 minutes flying left a 2200mAh 3S with 53% charge left........ :)
Colonel Blink

Postby Twitcher » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:26 pm

Shaun, if I'd known you were going to cover it in Aeromodeller I'd have kept the tenner I just shelled out for a couple of copies of the plan . . . Never mind. The Outerzone PDF file printed beautifully, plus I got a mirror image copy so I can build the wings more easily. Anyway, I look forward to your Swannee piece.
David
Twitcher

Postby 2.4g shaun » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:52 pm

Colonel Blink wrote:Hey Shaun - what is your criteria for a model to be categorised as a 'past gem'??

Flew mine again on Weds evening - 20 minutes flying left a 2200mAh 3S with 53% charge left........ :)

Hi Colin , I never got around to calling and apologies for the delayed answer. I've been on holiday and not doing much foruming:-) Last minute thing to a mates villa in Portugal.
Past gems to me are designs from the very late 50's to Dec 1979, the golden era of single channel. Preferably ones I've built or wanted to build but never got around to. They don't have to be pretty or popular and I do like unorthodox models but they must fly well.

Hi David,
It will be a few months before the Swanee is out ( In RCM&E not Aeromodeller though) Because of the interest in Blunderbird racing, I've had to re arrange my schedule of planned models a bit but I've hopefully got some interesting models coming up. P1174 is in the next model feature, the canard delta I flew at ponte this year. Quick build, cheap and great fun.

Hi Gordon,
I have a glider in mind , another free plan from days gone by, but it will be a while before I can get around to it and I need to build it as my original model is long gone. From the mag feedback the retro plan features are proving popular so Ill keep doing them as long as people want them and I have enough time to build the models.

Cheers,

Shaun.
2.4g shaun

Previous

Return to Radio systems