FlySky RM002 RF Module & R6B receiver

Reeds, single channel, and retro stuff here

FlySky RM002 RF Module & R6B receiver

Postby Phil_G » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:46 pm

In another thread Ade asked if the Flysky RM002 RF module was suitable for the S/C Emulation Encoder. Now I've heard that some have used FlySky but had never tried them myself. Not wanting to promote something I'd not tried, I ordered a module & receiver:

Flysky-FS-GT3-Telemetry-Module-FS-RM002
FS-R6B-FlySky-2_4Ghz-6CH-AFHDS-Receiver

They arrived 5 minutes ago, tried it with a S/C encoder and it works perfectly, so thats now another confirmed option for tranny builders & converters.

A few points to note:
The module is only available in JR-style, which is a bit bigger than the Futaba-style.
Like many JR modules, it needs to see a voltage swing on the PPM input, open-collector (or schottky-isolated PPM) will not drive it.
The aerial is a permanent fixture, its not a screw-on RP-SMA as you might expect. These two points might influence your installation.
The connector pin-out IS DIFFERENT to a Futaba-style module ! please double check before connecting up.
The PPM/Power connection socket isnt very deep - the pins will only go in about 5mm then they hit the board - dont force them any further!
Binding is very quick, the module uses the usual press-button on power up and the receiver uses a Spektrum-style bind plug in the rx battery plug.
I've not range-checked it [edit: see later post] but this is a full-range receiver and I dont expect any problems whatsoever.
I've not read a manual or anything regarding failsafe yet, the default after binding is for the rx to stop pulsing on failsafe, which will cut an electric ESC but will leave an IC throttle servo at the last commanded position. I'm sure they have proper failsafe, I just haven't learned how to do it yet.
I tried positive and negative-going PPM (ie 0v pulsing to 5v, and 5v pulsing to 0v) and it works equally well with either.
Finally, to repeat ad nausium, FlySky is not Frsky. They use a different chipset (Frsky uses CC2500, Flysky uses AMIC A7105) and are therefore different products and mutually incompatible.

Cheers
Phil

fs_tx.jpg

fs_rx.jpg

Pinout demonstrated on an Orange JR-Style module - FlySky RM002 is the same.
With only a very small mod to the Futaba connector, its possible to piggy-back mount the S/C Encoder onto the FlySky module.

jr_pinout.jpg
Phil_G

Re: FlySky RM002 RF Module & R6B

Postby ceptimus » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:51 pm

As I mentioned in the other thread, these 6-channel full range receivers work with the FlySky module. They're currently £8.32 each from HobbyKing. Of course, the FlySky ones Phil linked to are cheaper anyway, so there's no point in buying these HobbyKing ones new. But some modellers may already have them lying around or find some second-hand ones from other flyers.

There is a note on the Hobby King page that says, "Compatible only with HobbyKing T4A & T6A Version 2 transmitters", but I've tested them and they do work with the FlySky module. You can see from the photo that they look pretty identical to the photo Phil posted - except for a different label on the receiver case.

I suppose the T4A and T6A Version 2 transmitters must use the same FlySky protocol, but I think I've only ever seen a couple of those low-end transmitters and I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy them - the FlySky module in a Turnigy 9X or 9XR would be a much better option in terms of transmitter capability.
ceptimus

Re: FlySky RM002 RF Module & R6B receiver

Postby Mosfets » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi Phil

Regards "I tried positive and negative-going PPM (ie 0v pulsing to 5v, and 5v pulsing to 0v) and it works equally well with either."

It is good to know it works with both types of signal.

Did you put a voltage reducing component in the 5V PPM signal line? I ask this because the electronics inside the rf module seem to work at 3V3, I know there is a 5 V regulator on the bind button PCB but the actual RF module has a further regulator inside. I would hate it that a 5V signal would damage your unit. Hope this makes sense.

I may order another module as I have a 4 Ch Skyleader Clubman and a Micron FM.6D (Kit built) that would be ideal candidates for conversion.

Regards

Ade
Mosfets

Postby jmp_blackfoot » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:00 am

Phil,
The 6-channel has no failsafe.
I have had good luck flying my .049 rudder-only models with the Hobbyking GT2R 3-channel receiver which has failsafe on channel 2, with the same transmitter module you got.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... r_3Ch.html
(do not confuse with the GT2E which is not compatible...)
jmp_blackfoot

Postby Phil_G » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:43 am

Mosfets wrote:Hi Phil, Did you put a voltage reducing component in the 5V PPM signal line? I ask this because the electronics inside the rf module seem to work at 3V3
Hi Ade, I havent checked the Flysky circuitry but I fully expect it has its own level conversion since a standard JR recepticle puts out ppm at full battery voltage. But in any case I replaced the usual inline schottky diode on the S/C encoder PCB with a 1k resistor, as open-collector PPM won't drive the RM002 Image

jmp_blackfoot wrote:Phil,
The 6-channel has no failsafe.
I have had good luck flying my .049 rudder-only models with the Hobbyking GT2R 3-channel receiver which has failsafe on channel 2, with the same transmitter module you got.
Excellent thanks Jean-Marie, I checked that the 6ch does stop pulsing on loss of signal so the failsafe is ok for electrics, maybe not so good for IC Image
Phil_G

Postby Phil_G » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:30 pm

Was at the Elvington LMA event this weekend, took some gear to range-test as the huge size and open space makes it ideal for full-power ground-range checks.
Propped the FlySky RM002 module in the back window of the van, set the encoder to servo-sweep and set off on my bicycle with the rx,battery & servo (R6B single-antenna full-range receiver, not the park-fly R6A). Without a single interruption of the signal I reached the very end of the runway, still with a solid LED and smoothly sweeping servo, but I was unable to ride any further, there was no access. Checked the distance on Google Earth and it was almost a kilometre!
At that point I cycled the rx power a few times to check the re-link time at extreme distance and it was pretty much instant every time.
This is a very impressive ground-range for such a cheap & cheerful combination, and of course air-range will be much greater. Very impressed!

flysky_module_range.jpg
Phil_G

Postby no1dieselman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:48 am

That is an interesting result Phil, it may be cheap but works well. It would have been nice to see what the parkfly rx range is, so next time you have your bike out.....
I bet you were electric and not pedalling.

Doug
He who dies with the most toys wins
no1dieselman
Site Admin

Postby Phil_G » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:00 pm

I wasnt sure about compatibility with the tiny WL Toys 'brick' receivers so I went to Banggood to order a couple - however
the ones I wanted (911/929) were out of stock.

After a bit more digging on RCG I chose the F949 boards, still not 100% sure what they would work with.
They arrived this morning and they work great with either the RM002 module or the FSi6 transmitter (set to AFHDS) Image
I'm not sure I'm doing the binding process properly as it seems to forget and has to be rebound every time
the receiver is powered off. Or maybe thats just how it is, I dont know, but its a very minor inconvenience.
EDIT: yes, thats just how it is. You do have to rebind every time.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Cheers
Phil
Phil_G

Postby Mosfets » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Excellent news Phil, it's always good to know of a range of receivers that can be used with these modules.

Does this board have an built in brushed ESC also?

Ade
Mosfets

Postby Phil_G » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Theres a 2-wire connector which I presume is for a DC motor, haven't tried that yet.
One pin goes to pos and the other is switched to neg via a small transistor, which suggests it is a DC motor port.
Cheers
Phil
Phil_G

Next

Return to Radio systems