Macgregor kit....

Reeds, single channel, and retro stuff here

Re: Macgregor kit....

Postby dodgy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:18 pm

A kind thought - but the difficulty, as always, is finding one the right length and diameter. This one is 39" long, and 0.3" diameter.. In any case, it seems to be working OK at the moment....

I'm much more interested in getting these Rxs to work. It seems to me that the first stage is to get a circuit diagram - if no one has one, I'll try tracing all the connections through on the PCB, but that will take me some time and the chance of error is high... :(
dodgy

Re: Macgregor kit....

Postby dodgy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Well, I can report success, after a week of work...

Taurus Flyer of RC Groups took me under his wing - he has a track record of mending vintage single channel sets remotely over the Web!

It turns out that the Receiver was working correctly - the problem was in the Transmitter. Which was odd, because you could detect the carrier over a domestic radio, and hear the tone clearly. The problem was in an electrolytic capacitor which connected the tone signal to the RF output. It had gone the way of all 55-year-old electrolytics, though it hadn't bulged. I presume that I could hear the tone clearly because the radio was picking up the oscillations direct from the Tx circuit board? Anyway, things are looking up, and my aim of getting an R/C boat with a Kinematic actuator working is getting closer!

For anyone interested, the 'mend record' starts here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2609824-Reverse-engineering-and-repair-of-a-vintage-Metz-Mecatron-single-channel-radio/page32 and goes on for about 20 pages! There are some circuit diagrams there as well...
dodgy

Previous

Return to Radio systems