Timber transmitters

Reeds, single channel, and retro stuff here

Timber transmitters

Postby PJG » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Hello there! (spoken in a David Jacobs voice)

As suggested by my neighbour Flynn - ( I live at No. 47); herewith some pics of one of a pair of 8 channel transmitters, constructed around Turnigy 9XR motherboards that Hobbyking were unloading a while ago for peanuts. They are no longer available, but the 9x boards finally are. These were in great demand for a long time, due to new buyers connecting their batteries in reverse polarity. I think most of them moved on to the Ar9x board in the meantime.
The 9XR suffered from poor programming switches, so tiny smd momentary switches were installed, along with smd resistors on four of the switch tracks. The case is primarily 1.5mm plywood.
The stick units (ex my MRC V purchased in 1975) were turned round so that the vertical stick pots were on the outside, leaving room for the RF module to nestle between the stick assemblies.
I went with digital trims as it was possible, though I prefer the analogue trims in retrospect. On a practical level, round holes are easier to make.
In keeping with the ethos of economy (second nature to tykes and scots), a fairly small LCD was fitted, plus a 2s pack of 18650 protected LI-ion cells. The battery lives inside the back cover, with the charging and programming ports on the base. The neckstrap fitting is a Meccano angle bracket and the trainer socket sits above the power switch. This Tx is much lighter than the plastic 9x and far more retro.
The 7 switches and 3 pots are all programmable to whatever you fancy, thanks to the clever er9x firmware. With all the mixes, curves et al, it can require as much brain power as the Times crossword.
Now then, discipuli picturae spectate, as Bojo might say....
DSCF0046.JPG
Exploded view - the outside
DSCF0047.JPG
Exploded view - the inside
DSCF0074.JPG
Module fitted and battery installed (almost)
DSCF0064.JPG
Wired!
DSCF0079.JPG
Round the back
DSCF0078.JPG
Here's one I prepared earlier
Last edited by PJG on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pilote de l'époque
PJG

Re: Timber transmitters

Postby exuprider » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:24 pm

I have to say I like that very much and very neatly done. Thanks for sharing.

Carl
exuprider

Postby tiptipflyer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:17 am

Looks very clean and very stylish in my eyes. Far better than the plastic cases of the modern transmitters. Well done!

Frank
tiptipflyer

Postby ceptimus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:16 pm

I agree. Great looking transmitter.

Martin.
ceptimus

Postby PJG » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks very much for the kind words, gents.
Here are a couple more pics that I meant to post:

The splash screen was created using Gimp and the LCD is 1.8". CAC47 is the catchy name of my local club.
DSCF0269 (2).JPG
Splash screen
DSCF0089.JPG
Fully wired
Pilote de l'époque
PJG

Return to Radio systems