O.S. Pixie reproduction?

The home for button pushers

O.S. Pixie reproduction?

Postby Wagga_Wayne » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm

The Pixie was my first ever radio. I worked in the local abattoir over the xmas school holidays, shovelling ofal & bone - can't begin to imagine the youth of today doing such a thing!! Anyway, hard work paid off & I thought I was 'it and a bit' with my shiny new single channel r/c.

After a few false starts,
Mini-Robot+OS Pixie.jpg
one of my false starts

I ended up with a flying combination of the Pixie in a Lumpers with a 1.5cc Taipan (Aussie made) diesel, which was a perfect combo. Boy did I have fun!
Lumpers.jpg

Eventually I sold the Pixie to part-pay for a shiny new Kraft KP2B. Years later I acquired an OS Minitron superhet Tx, which I still have.

Anyway, reminiscing aside, the purpose of this post is to find somebody who has a Pixie Tx - the late 60s version with the sloped sides (mine was black plastic but I believe there may have been a blue version as well). Then, hopefully, we can organise a set of pictures to turn into a 3d file for ultimate reproduction on a 3d printer.

Of course, if anybody has made any progress down such a path already, can I (we?) convince you to share?? Anybody else interested?

Cheers, Wayne.
Wagga_Wayne

Re: O.S. Pixie reproduction?

Postby iflylilplanes » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:22 pm

I have the same TX as in the first photo, still works, has a range of about 6 feet. I've been keeping an eye out for the later version you are looking for, if I come across one I will let you know.
Cheers,

Dave W.

A new challenge learning to fly rudder only, GG and push button.
iflylilplanes

Postby Phil_G » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Unless I'm dreaming again, I'm sure someone posted 3D printer files for the OS Pixie case, I cant find it now and
a search on Thingiverse showed nothing. Maybe it was before the two major crashes the forum suffered in the early days.
Or maybe I just made it up, but I'm almost sure, I can picture the sketchup drawing in my mind but cant remember where
I saw it. Must have been here. Have a look at Franks OS Pixie reproduction, its very, very close!
Phil_G

Postby SGC » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:44 pm

My first radio was a Mk2 OS pixie set purchased from Hobbico in Sydney spent hrs decideing the blue or black set. the black set was on 27Mhz the blue set was 40Mhz , I chose the black set
SGC

Postby Phil_G » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:57 am

Wagga_Wayne wrote:the purpose of this post is to find somebody who has a Pixie Tx - the late 60s version with the sloped sides

Mk1:

Mk2:
Phil_G

Postby Wagga_Wayne » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:16 am

Phil,

Once again, you are a font of information ;) The Mk2 is the version I seek.

According to the articles I have on scanning & creating 3D files from multiple pictures, I'll need as a minimum 4 pictures - front, back & both sides - all at the same scale. The article suggests fixing the camera & placing the Tx on a rotating base - I'm sure you get the idea. I appreciate any help you can provide - suggest you PM me rather than tie up the forum (unless others are interested). I'll post any files I am able to create.

I do like the blue version, even though mine was black (27MHz) - although I suspect a red one would work faster still............ :lol: :P

cheers,

Wayne
Wagga_Wayne

Postby Mike_K » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi Phil.

Maybe you are thinking of the OS Pixie MK1 3D files I sent you a year or two ago before I had joined this forum? My 3D printing skills were not good back then (they're not much better now!) and all my prints warped or sagged. In the end I had it professionally printed by one of those laser type printing process, it came out very well but the colour was a funny type of beige and how ever hard I tried, I couldn't paint it to give the same colour and texture as the original. At this point I gave up and moved onto the next project.

I'm not near my PC at the moment, but if I remember I'll post the STL files (box and lid), but it was for the MK1 enclosure (the Pixie MK1 was my first ever R/C set, I still have it and it still works). I had also sourced a thumb screw to hold the lid on, a push button switch and an on-off switch with shroud to match the originals and I think these components were the same on the MK2? I'll see if I can find where I got them all from and post that as well.

Cheers

Mike
Mike_K

Postby Tobe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Try a PETG filament and you are out of the woods
Tobe

Postby Phil_G » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Mike_K wrote:Maybe you are thinking of the OS Pixie MK1 3D files I sent you a year or two ago

Thats right Mike, so I'm not going la la after all :lol:
Phil_G

Postby Mike_K » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks Tobe I'll order some and give it a try.

Phil I've searched my PC and can't find the STL files, it must be me who is going la la. What's worse is that I've found the 3D viewable PDF file. I've emailed the people who commercially printed it for me to see if the still have a copy.

Mike
Mike_K

Next

Return to Single channel